Saturday 2 February 2013

b.孫子兵法 (計篇第一) (Chapter 1 - 6) (Part 7)

 

道,

    ,二 地 ,
    者, ,死 ,智 也。
    ,法
   
    用, ,遠 之, 之勝
    ;多 勝負

Some translation suggested: 
"Therefore, in your deliberations, when seeking to determine the military conditions, let them be made the basis of a comparison, in this wise:--
(1) Which of the two sovereigns is imbued with the Moral law?
(2) Which of the two generals has most ability?
(3) With whom lie the advantages derived from Heaven and Earth?
(4) On which side is discipline most rigorously enforced?
(5) Which army is stronger?
(6) On which side are officers and men more highly trained?
(7) In which army is there the greater constancy both in reward and punishment?"
"By means of these seven considerations I can forecast victory or defeat."
"The general that hearkens to my counsel and acts upon it, will conquer: let such a one be retained in command! The general that hearkens not to my counsel nor acts upon it, will suffer defeat:--let such a one be dismissed!"
"While heading the profit of my counsel, avail yourself also of any helpful circumstances over and beyond the ordinary rules."
"According as circumstances are favorable, one should modify one's plans."

In war terms, such a deliberation is always necessary, as resources meant for war are limited. Hence, deliberations before actions are always important and council of the learned ones affects the outcome.

In business terms, fortunately such a deliberation to start a war is not necessary.

In business, one is allowed to use passion to start a business. One's passion is considered supremo in business terms. Hence, it is superior in every sense. Sharpen that weapon of choice. One with just a little patience will gain great inroads into the business.

When I started my business, everywhere in the market place was occupied by the great super heavy weights. To muscle myself into the business arena was tough. As mentioned before, I took the hardest path. I climbed the highest mountains. Interestingly, I hit no road blocks. There were no one in the market place high up in the skies. Slowly I gained strength to fight the heavy weights in the plains. I fought them in the plains. I fought them in the rivers. I fought them in the suburbs. I fought them in the urbans. I held on to cities. I won them all. Now I am a ranked player in the market. When times are bad, I survived easily. When times are good, I smiled. The resources I command can now be mobilized  to meet any advancing troops. In another words, the business has gone into a stable phase. It is now a cash cow. Cash that it generates can now be deployed for research and development, repairs for old infrastructures, search for new pastures and provide for old age.

These cash has allowed for the ultimate investment - land. (This topic will be deliberated when this chapter finishes.)

The items discussed in this segment are very important. Business is a very fluid item. It cannot be held using a fixed method. It can only be managed by continuous discussions with my business partner. Sometimes, I did laugh at myself why do I spent so much time talking and not working. Everyday I spent at least 8-10 hours talking to my business partner. To what ends? You may ask. 

Running a business requires the understanding of its soul. It is very philosophical. There is no way to rush into a business without deliberate deliberations. To do that is to court death. Hence, the need to deliberate at length the battle plans.

Sometimes, my business partner and I had fights over the directional approach.  I may win some but in other instances, I lost. This is the beauty of council. The road we take will always be deliberated and considered. Even if we lose, it is still very hard on our enemies.

I remembered a very famous battle we had: During that battle, I called it the Battle of Helm's Deep, we bled badly. Our resources were fully engaged. We couldn't even last a single day more without praying for relief. We were attacked from all fronts. The enemies were giving all sorts of war cries and our suppliers were demanding payments, else no food for our soldiers.

We had no resources, no hope, no strength for war. My partner and I took the only approach left for us. We know that in a war of attrition, the enemies and us were equally hurting. Since we have no strength left with us, we decided on self-preservation. We sat out the battle. After a long 2 years of wintry engagement, we emerged not as a victor but a survivor. In the year later, some of competitors were killed with too much hemorrhage, but we lived. The market place is now lonelier but those who were left have great respect for each other. We may be small in the beginning, but we gained respect. Respect from competition means they don't dare to trespass into our turf, else they risk massive attack on theirs. Now, we are planning for the ultimate assault - the attack of Mordor, the dark lord of the east.

This is not a gloating passage. This is a passage of deliberate deliberations. SunTzu knew the painful lessons in non-deliberations. I agreed.

No comments:

Post a Comment