Tuesday 14 May 2013

b.The Alignment of Aim

No matter how hard I try to work alone (my most preferred mode; or at most one other, i.e., my trusted partner-in-crime), I always ended up having to deal with more than one other person. They could be my co-workers, my colleagues, my sales teams, my more-distant partners and my "social" friends.

This is where the problem starts. None, absolutely none can be trusted. They are very cunning and crafty in actions and plans. Their aims (ambitions) are not aligned with mine in the first place. When aims are not aligned, no business will work.

This, of course, was taught to me by my partner-in-crime. I can't claim credit for this insight.

He is a self-made historian, hence, he is sensitive to subtle variations in the human nature. He said that a salesman based on commission does not have the same aim aligned. I was surprised by this statement. I said that based on commission and low basic, shouldn't that helps to align the salesman's aim towards that of the corporation. He said a big fat NO. No amount of commission will make the salesman's aim to be aligned to that of the corporation. Commission after a while is not longer attractive. Initially, his aim is reasonably aligned. But, once he knows the ropes, he will get lazy. He will plot to use his time for other "deals", because the corporation can't monitor his movements. He will then become an arm-chair salesman, i.e., he will just try to conclude sales by calling instead of personal visits. He will visit his customers instead of once a week, it will become once every month. He will try to maximise by pushing the customers to take more. This, in turn, will offend the customers greatly. First, the customers always have contention of limited shelf space. Second, customers, being the lowest life-form in their corporate hierarchy, love the power to dominate. Once the salesman is not there to be scolded or played. These customers instead of buying from me will go elsewhere where the other salesman is fun to be played. My sale goes down down down. When the sale not longer justifies the employment of the sales team, they will quit too, bringing along with them years of training and "potential deals". This was a very bad experience we had together. We have to sack the entire team and restart.

We are therefore left with 2 choices: one, change the salesman team full set once every 3 years or second, make the sales team(s)' aim to be aligned to ours.

It is the second option that I am keen to discuss:

(My partner-in-crime said that misalignment of aim happens all the time in every one we engage and stops short in suggesting any solution. He is however a keen observer.)
I will slowly build up the case that working for the corporation will bring forth riches that is far greater than he can ever hope. Introduce small bite-size investment projects that he can take on. Although we are keen business people and we don't need money, we need time. We need people's faithful time. Being a tiny investor in our next scheme of things. The salesman would be keen to get more. Little by little, he will become part of the core team. He becomes extremely self-motivated. He becomes an active contributor to our primary sales and any new business-types. In reality, he enjoys his new position as a junior partner of the team. His work becomes beautiful and he has learned to trust us. This is how we can align our aim. Honesty and honest sharing of wealth-creation as a combination of weapon-of-choice is so deadly.

I have recently encountered the same issue as stated above:

(1)   (positive) I have first put on loan a computer while I was away. The whites are relatively poor in comparison. When I finally called upon him to return the computer. He gladly obliged. In exchange, he started to offer small little favours to keep the friendship going. So by aligning his aim to me by providing a simple resource in need, he opened up immensely. He could actually still use his older computer. This is actually a good way to start.

(2)   (positive) I have first volunteered to put on loan a small sum of money. Again, the whites are relatively poor. I didn't asked for it to be returned. He then volunteered to offset the sum by working for me as a budget builder.

(3)   (negative) I have first put on food treats to a chineseman in another island. He responded well to my treats. But, when I needed a small non-monetary favour in return, he refused. I dropped him like a rock. He tried to win me back. But, it was too late. It is better that I cut my friendship treat loss now than to find a deeper loss later in business dealings.

My partner-in-crime is indeed wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment