Monday 9 June 2014

p.The Path Least Trodden is Not a Straight Path

The last part is here:   Philosophy of Business

This is always a (legendary) Harvard Business School's first lesson:
The Art Of Possibility
By Benjamin & Rosamund Stone Zander, (2000) Harvard Business School Press I. It's All Invented: "A shoe factory sends two marketing scouts to a region of Africa to study the prospects for expanding business. One sends back a telegram saying, “Situation hopeless, stop, no one wears shoes.” The other writes back triumphantly, “Glorious business opportunity, stop, they have no shoes!”
This is what we all have the ability to do. Life experiences come to us in sequence: First, our senses bring us selective information about what is out there; Second, the brain constructs its own simulation of the sensations; and only then, Third, do we have our first conscious experiences of our milieu… thinking outside of the lines, or boxes that we traditionally live in. Here's how to practice that step. Simply ask yourself this question; “What assumptions am I making that I'm not aware I'm making, that gives me what I see?” When you have the answer to that question then ask yourself; “What might I now invent, that I haven't invented, that would give me other choices?”

This is a very difficult decision:   I am into this new business and found that no one is doing it, therefore I have a chance. OR is it that every other person has tried this business before and failed, that is the reason why I am all alone still, stupidly trying out a joke, that is doomed to fail.

Same, same for the path least trodden. I might have walked the path least trodden, it doesn't mean that it is a straight-forward path. Right now, I have to start walking sideways before I can walk straight again later. If I have youth on my side, I would have no problem, but I don't.

The commencement of another project has begun. Let's see how far this project will take me.

No comments:

Post a Comment