Wednesday 3 July 2013

b.Business Jinx

The last part is here: Land - Church - The graveyard 

This is not good. The white agent just told me that the tall, tall church has been snapped up by another white. The deal is likely to be closed as white people love their kindred. There is not a chance in hell for a yellow like me. !@#$%^&*()_+ ...

I have long learned this lesson about not talking about projects that are work-in-progress. I have failed to do so. By talking about potential deals, I am actually not focussed on the work-in-progress, but instead, hope to gloat over its feather-adding. The end result:   The whites got the wind of it and started their maneuvers to save the church from a yellow-skinned. They managed to beat me to it. I was too slow. I was playing with each and every one of my trusted contacts seeking concurrence and hope to gloat loudly about the purchase to them. But, what I failed to consider was I need to think through the what-if-then-else tree. I did none of that. When the white agent threatened me about another potential player. I was too over-confident. By talking about it to contacts would not have won me the deal. I need to spend my time with the white agent and find out if I could secure the deal asap. I didn't. I behaved like a cat toying playfully with my caught mouse. The white seller bolted and allowed another late white buyer to overtake me. The amount dealt was the same. But, I was given a miss, even though I was the first one to bid that value. As long as the deal is not signed, I can only sigh.

The white agent felt my pain and offered me another even nicer and taller church at an even better value and location. I asked her how many more churches does she have on hand? She gave me a very wicked smile and replied that she always keep a private list of church leaders, just in case she needs to repent. She is indeed bad influence on my religious belief. Although she robbed me of my prize, like God, she gave another bigger prize for me to catch. Very naughty, very, very naughty indeed. I will now keep my mouth shut and nose back to the grindstone. The grindstone is where for every ten projects, I  can only win on one.

In business, there is such a thing called JINX. Believe in it, keep the projects away from plying eyes, then all things will be back in place. If these projects are exposed prematurely, the chance of winning them is going to be greatly reduced.

All businesses involve business risk, i.e., do note that every single government project is keep under wraps until it is completed and ready for public scrutiny. When the projects are finally exposed, it would be too late for any competition to get at them. It is not just jinx at work but safety to the business person.

Let this be a heavy lesson for me and hopefully, you.

No comments:

Post a Comment